On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:46:56AM -0500, Paco Hope wrote:
> I don't think "webness" conveys any more homogeneity than, say "windowsness"
> or "linuxness."
>
> What part of being a web application provides homogeneity in a way that makes
> patching cheaper?

In a word, control. Let's compare two different organizations: a
commercial software development company, and a web commerce company.
They both develop software, but how the software is deployed and managed
is widely different.

Commercial software is created by one party, and consumed by multiple
other parties. Those parties may run it in widely different operating
environments, with different network, software and harware
configurations. They may be running old versions of the software, or
using it in novel ways.

If the commercial software development company has to patch a
vulnerability, they need to first determine which releases of the
software need to be patched, develop and test a patch for each supported
version, test it across the plethora different configurations their
customers may be running, develop release notes and a security advisory,
make the patch available, and support their customers while they are
patching.

For a web commerce company, however, the picture is entirely different.
While their production fleet may comprise hundreds, or even thousands,
of servers, they're likely all running the exact same software and
configuration, using a configuration management system to deploy the
website software and keep it in sync.

If the web commerce company identifies a vulnerability in their website,
they can debug the running stack, create a fix, test it against an
exact replica of the production stack, and use automated tools to
deploy the patch to their entire fleet in one operation.

-Jon