Agile shops tend to put a premium on lightweight processes that
minimize impact on iteration timelines.

Some of the key differences we've seen work in agile shops rather than
waterfall include:
 * Aversion to documentation
 * Heavy reliance on collaborative tools, such as bug tracking and wikis
 * Implicit design evolution rather than deliberate focus on design
 * Less scrutiny of third party code if it can help get the job done quickly

Implications for secure SDLC include:
 * As with all other types of SDLC, education is a critical
prerequisite to convince stakeholders of the importance of security
 * Despite best intentions, Agile shops will tend to avoid new
security activities if they fail to present enough value or if they
slow down iteration plans. Rather than forcing a security review at
every iteration, define a set of criteria that will force a
deliberate, formal security review (e.g. large changes to front end,
changes to authentication / access control, new modules, major
rewrites, etc.).
 * Most bug tracking tools offer some measure of extensibility.
Leverage bug tracking tools to also track security vulnerabilities  by
creating a special security tag
 * Thorough manual source code review *is possible* and maybe even
feasible for short iterations. This is particularly true for shops
that already perform non-security specific source code review at the
end of each iteration
 * Building security static analysis into continuous integration is a
natural fit
 * Documentation, such as secure coding guidelines / checklists,
should reside in dynamic platforms such as a wiki or web page rather
than static documents that don’t evolve
 * Threat modeling needs to be agile and done in a matter of hours
rather than days. The focus should generally be on important high/risk
use cases rather than attempting to be comprehensive
 * Automated front-end testing tools, such as Selenium, are a great
place to perform fuzzing for common data validation flaws
 * For ISVs in particular, making the case for building  a large
enterprise security library all at once may be a tough sell. Build
security libraries iteratively, just like the main product, focusing
on the least complex / biggest risk reduction controls first

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Jari Pirhonen <j...@iki.fi> wrote:
> 8.9.2010 11:37, Martin Gilje Jaatun kirjoitti:
>>
>> I may have mentioned before on this list that my dream is to do an
>> in-depth comparative study of "traditional" and "agile" development
>> organizations to determine which produces the best (i.e., most secure)
>> code? The first challenge would be to figure out how to compare the
>> "security level" of two different types of software products...
>> (Actually, the first challenge is to get funding for this...)
>>

> This study would be very interesting. I've asked around if there're any
> studies/papers showing that agile actually produces better (or as good)
> software than waterfall/iterative methods. I understand that there are many
> advantages and many organizations are happy with agile development. It would
> be nice see some serious studies, though.
>
> Jari
> as a free, non-commercial service to the software security community.
> Follow KRvW Associates on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/KRvW_Associates

Rohit Sethi
Security Compass
http://www.securitycompass.com