Rohit,
You wrote:
> Has anyone had to deal with the following HIPAA compliance requirements
> within a custom application before:
>
> §164.312(c)(2)
> Implement electronic mechanisms to corroborate that electronic
> protected health information has not been altered or destroyed in
> an unauthorized manner.
>
> §164.312(e)(2)(i)
> Implement security measures to ensure that electronically transmitted
> electronic protected health information is not improperly modified
> without detection until disposed of.
>
> How have you actually implemented these controls in applications? Have
> you used a third party tool to do this? Does §164.312(c)(2) simply
> boil down to sufficient access control?

Having never had any practical experience with HIPPA, my take on these sections
may be different (read "wrong") than others, but the way I read these
requirements,
they have to do more with ensuring data integrity than *merely* proper access
control.

If that is their intent, then I would look at access control as providing a
necessary, but not sufficient security measure to satisfy these requirements.

Consequently, I would think that a mechanism such as HMACs or digital signatures
may be appropriate security measures here.

-kevin
---
Kevin W. Wall           CenturyLink / Risk Mgmt / Information Security
kevin.w...@qwest.com    Phone: 614.215.4788
"There are only 10 types of people in the world...those who can count
in binary and those who can't."