DNS zone transfer, also sometimes known by its (most common) opcode mnemonic AXFR, is a type of DNS transaction. It is one of the many mechanisms available for administrators to employ for replicating the databases containing the DNS data across a set of DNS servers. (http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_zone_transfer)
Let me start by saying I have not done zone transfers with Scalr yet as I am inside the US and don't have the latency issue. However, I have done zone transfers before when I had servers in a colocation facility. It allows you to have slave dns servers that get replicated with whatever changes you do on the master servers. So here is how it would work for Scalr. 1. You setup your own server somewhere, hosted on Amazon or something else, that is your own DNS server. 2. You configure bind on that server to accept zone transfers from the Scalr DNS server ips. 3. You point your domains to your own DNS servers. That means changing them from ns1.scalr.net, ns2.scalr.net, etc. to ns1.myowndomain.com, ns2.myowndomain.com 4. Whenever you make changes to your Scalr farm that would affect a DNS change, Scalr's DNS servers would then replicate the changes to your own DNS servers. Since all your visitors would hit your DNS servers, you would no longer have the latency involved with visitor's hopping to the US and hitting Scalr's DNS. Here is a tutorial on setting up zone transfers for bind if you are interested: http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/xfer.html Hope that helps somewhat. Mike On Apr 16, 2:10 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote: > Sorry for opening a new post, I've tried bumping the original thread a > number of times but my posts disappear into the ether: > > http://groups.google.com/group/scalr-discuss/browse_thread/thread/f74... > > There's clearly a number of people interested in this so can someone > give a clear, definitive steer on managing DNS from Europe for > European EC2 instances. I don't expect masses of support for my $50 a > month but I have been waiting several months now for an answer to this > so can someone please help - even if the answer is "no, there's no way > of doing it" - at least then I'll know! > > TIA --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "scalr-discuss" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/scalr-discuss?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
