Hi Jeff,

There is a solution for unique incremental ID requirement in the latest
version of Enterprise Scalr, but Open Source Scalr has a similar Global
Variable named SCALR_INSTANCE_FARM_INDEX that may fit this use case.
Documentation available here
<https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/display/docs/Server-Scope+Global+Variables>.

This will provide an incremental value for the index of the instance within
the Farm, but the index may be reused when an instance is replaced.  Let us
know if you have any questions.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support