[CC'ing mailing list]

RMS and I have had this discussion earlier, and I personally don't see
any need to confuse schools with a more complex name, either for the
project or for the OS.  The originators of the project have chosen to
call it LAP (Linux Access Project) and as far as I'm concerned that
name stands until enough people choose another one.  In any case the
members of the mailing list can decide for themselves the advantages
and/or disadvantages of adding a `GNU' to the name of the project.

Do be aware that we have repeatedly stated that the GNU philosophy
will be part of our education efforts for the teachers and students.
We want to educate schools towards adopting Linux for both pragmatic
and idealistic reasons.  The only school which has adopted Linux at
the moment (through the efforts of Leo Fernandez) has done so purely
based on cost.  We hope this changes, and we are working towards
making a hybrid presentation which talks about Linux from all points
of view: as a platform which offers all the advantages of free
software, as a technically superior solution and as a lower cost
option to MS operating systems.

Regards,

-- Raju

--