Charly Founès wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I sent a message to Shane Hudson but I heard that he isn't working for Scid
> anymore so I'll ask here as well.
>
> Is it possible to use the data in scid.eco? I created a MySQL database for
> php practice with the content of this file, I use the eco code, opening name
> and moves. I find it very convenient to do text searches especially with the
> opening names. I thought it might be useful for chess players and I would
> like to put it on my website where I created some other scripts concerning
> chess. ( http://cf29.com/design/index_eng.php)
>
> I found "Copyright (C) 1999-2003  Shane Hudson (....@users.sourceforge.net)"
> in the scid.eco file.

It's the standard way to give credit to the people who contributed to
the program.

> Scid is under a GPL license so I don't know what to do.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
I think it would be useful to add the standard copying permission
statement in every source file to avoid confusion:
# This file is part of Scid (Shane's Chess Information Database).
#
# Scid is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation.
#
# Scid is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#
# along with Scid.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

> May I put my script and the database online to make it available to the
> public? What do you think?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
With GPL you can always use the code, but if you distribute a derivative
work you need to release it under a compatible license.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

Bye, Fulvio