Hello Okey,

Thanks for this tip - now it works :-)!

> One more place to check is to "set" the Spellcheck file. It seems that Scid
> 4.6 beta does not automatically include either spelling.ssp or
> ratings.ssp (the spellcheck files) in the package, so you have to download
> one. The spf/spi files need either of those to work properly.
> You only need one, though. The ratings.ssp file is bigger but allows you to
> add ratings to games.
>
> You can download the zip files from the Scid site. Click "Get Scid", then
> "Player Data", "Latest Data", and then download spelling.zip
> and/or ratings.zip. Once downloaded, unzip the zip file (giving you the .ssp
> file) and remember where you save it.
>
> After downloading them, go to Options > Load Spellcheck File, and then
> navigate to your .ssp file of choice.
>
> You should then have the picture show up.

As a future reminder for me (and maybe others) I just want to sum up all
the necessary steps:

To see photos of the players in Scid 4.6.0 for Windows I had to
  * download the pictures from http://scid.sourceforge.net/download.html:
FIDE, Wikipedia and historic players photos
  * download player ratings (or spell checking data)
  * unpack the files in the "Scid-4.6.0/bin" directory
  * load a spellcheck file with "Options" > "Load Spellcheck File" > choose
    "ratings.ssp" (or "spelling.ssp") - the spf/spi (photo)files need them
    to work properly
  * set the option in  "Options" > "Windows" > "Show Game Info" active  -
to see the game info underneath the chessboard at all
  * set the option in "Options" > "Game Information" > "Show Photos" active
- to see the photos

When I replay now a game between Capablance and Tarrasch e.g. their first
game in St. Petersburg, 1914, I can now see their portraits underneath the
chessboard.

By the way: Tarrasch won this first game.

Thanks again for all your help, Okey

All the best

Werner