Vallas deputy to head schools

June 26, 2001

BY FRAN SPIELMAN CITY HALL REPORTER

Arne Duncan, a Harvard-educated basketball star who studied under Paul
Vallası wing, was chosen by Mayor Daley today to replace his mentor as
Chicago Schools CEO.

Duncan, 36, accepted the pressure-cooker job after Daleyıs top choice,
Library Commissioner Mary Dempsey, turned it down, concerned it could
consume her.

That created the opportunity of a lifetime for Duncan, the
dark-horse-candidate-turned-frontrunner spotlighted by the Chicago Sun-Times
two weeks ago.

Duncan is the former Harvard basketball star who joined the Chicago Board of
Education in 1998 as head of the showcase magnet programs and now serves as
Vallası deputy chief of staff.

More important for Daley, he is the oldest son of a family that has
dedicated its life to educating kids.

For 40 years, his mother has operated the Childrenıs Center, an after-school
tutoring program that has helped hundreds of children in the North
Kenwood/Oakland neighgborhood.

Duncanıs father is a psychology professor at the University of Chicago. His
wife, two sisters and a brother-in-law are all teachers. Arne Duncan built
the Ariel Education Initiative with longtime friend John Rogers.

ŒŒIıve been impressed with his passion, his commitment and his entire
familyıs commitment about education. . . . In one way or another, Arneıs
whole life has been about bettering the lives of children,ıı the mayor said.

Duncan, who met his wife while playing professional basketball in Australia,
thanked the mayor for the chance to, as he put it, ŒŒbuild on 40 years of my
motherıs work.ıı

To those who believe heıs in over his head, Duncan said, ŒŒPeople can think
what they want. This is an extraordinary opportunity‹an extraordinary
challenge. If you look at my track record‹if you look at what Iıve done
throughout my life, I thrive on that challenge. I thrive on that
competitiveness . . . And itıs not going to be me by myself. Weıre going to
build the strongest team youıve ever seen at the Chicago Public Schools.ıı

Vallas praised the choice. ŒŒCertainly the selection of Arne reflects the
fact that the mayor wants to build on what has been done, as opposed to
dismantling whatıs been done,ıı Vallas said.

--
This is the CPS Science Teacher List.