Jones Magnet looks for extra space

August 14, 2001

BY JANET RAUSA FULLER STAFF REPORTER

Jones Academic Magnet High School is a mess.

Since March, the school at 606 S. State has been undergoing a $50 million
renovation that will include a new gym, revamped library, two new science
labs and double the number of classrooms.

And until last week, school officials, staff and students thought they would
be making North Metro High School, a dilapidated school at 1450 N. Larrabee,
their temporary digs for the 2001-02 school year. The first day of classes
is Sept. 4 .

But because of a communication snafu within the Chicago schools district,
that plan has been scrapped and the approximately 800 students at Jones now
will be dispersed to several high schools--and universities--across the
city.

With details still being worked out, school officials know this much:
Freshmen will take classes at Whitney Young High School. Sophomores will be
sent to Walter Payton Prep on the Near North Side. Juniors and seniors will
be split between DePaul University, Roosevelt University, Robert Morris
College and Columbia College.

"My focus has to be on making sure our students are in classes on the first
day of school," Jones principal Cynthia Barron said Monday.

Faculty and staff will work out of temporary offices at North Metro, where
files and supplies already sit in boxes. Teachers may have to split their
time between schools or drop certain classes their schedules. Adding faculty
from the other schools to pick up the load is a possibility.

For now, extracurricular activities, and frustrated students and parents,
are in limbo.

"How are we going to put on [theater] productions?" asked Hugo Orejel, 16,
an incoming junior who is active in theater and choir. "This kind of demotes
the whole high school experience of having all our classes together."

"I'm angry because they're going to tell us this three weeks before school
starts," added Angelina Morales, 15, a sophomore.

Hugo, Angelina and dozens of other students, parents and staff voiced their
concerns Monday at a meeting at Roosevelt University. It was the first time
they had heard about the proposed changes.

"Life at Jones is one big amoeba. It changes every hour. That's the latest
that we have, and it's a programming nightmare," said Walter Paas, LSC chair
at Jones and father of two Jones students.

The nightmare began in the spring, according to Schools Chief Operating
Officer Tim Martin. Originally, the bulk of construction was to be completed
over the summer, with classes to resume at Jones in the fall.

But by May, work already was behind schedule because "expectations of the
fire department and the building department were not being met," Martin
said. "To stay in Jones would not be feasible."

So, Martin, Barron and other school officials decided to move into North
Metro High School, which was closing after the past school year.

"We assumed we got an empty school," Martin said. "We assumed wrong."

North Metro, which is owned by the Board of Education, was scheduled to be
put up for sale to developers in June and demolished by the winter to make
way for replacement and subsidized housing, something Martin says he
overlooked.

"In the meantime, there was a whole series of developers vying for
replacement housing in the Near North area who were just waiting for our
parcel to go up for bid," he said.

That left officials scrambling to find Jones a new temporary home.

The new plan, which scatters Jones students across the city, was crafted
last Wednesday and presented to Barron, the principals at Whitney Young and
Walter Payton schools and university officials.

The meeting at Roosevelt University Monday was intended to be a small
gathering of only school officials, faculty and student leaders, but PTO
members got word and called parents.

Barron has scheduled meetings for the entire student body and their families
next week at the Harold Washington Library, and will send out letters to
families explaining the situation. If the parent of an underclassmen has a
concern or objection to a child being placed at Whitney Young or Walter
Payton, they are free to suggest another school and "that selection will be
honored," Barron says.

--
This is the CPS Science Teacher List.