Title: Biotechnology Course for CPS High School Teachers - Se
Hello CPS Biology Teachers,
I am in charge of a biotechnology outreach program based at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Our program has been running for over 10 years and has served teachers throughout Illinois, including many in the Chicago area.  The program offers courses in biotechnology education, as well as equipment loans to teachers who complete our training course.  We currently supply biotechnology equipment and supplies to teachers in many Chicago Public High Schools, including Kelly, Taft, John Marshall, and Kenwood and Chicago Vocational Career Academy.

This fall, Dr. George Kieffer (the founder of our Biotech outreach program) and I will offer a biotechnology course for CPS high school teachers.  The course, entitled  "BRINGING BIOTECHNOLOGY TO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM", will be held on three Saturdays: Sept. 22, Oct. 20, and Nov. 17 from 8:00am - 1:00pm at Whitney Young High School.  Teachers who successfully complete the course can use our program's biotechnology equipment in their classrooms.  Teachers will also receive Lane Promotion Credit and CEUs through the ISBE (our program is an approved provider of recertification credits).

Course Overview: "BRINGING BIOTECHNOLOGY TO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM"
The course will address Illinois State Science Goals 11A, 12A, 13A, and 13B.  The following hands-on laboratories will be performed by all participants.  In addition to these laboratories, the course will include lectures and discussions on issues related to biotechnology.  Biotech equipment and supplies to carry out these laboratories in the classroom will be loaned to teachers who have successfully completed this training.

Hands-on Biotech Laboratories:
 Biotechnology laboratory safety issues and practices
 Extraction of DNA from a variety of sources
 Measurements used in biotechnology laboratories
 Sterile microbiological technique
 Antibiotic screening for resistant bacteria
 Digestion of DNA with restriction enzymes
 Separation of DNA fragments using agarose gel electrophoresis ("DNA fingerprinting")
 Transformation of bacteria with plasmid DNA

COURSE ENROLLMENT DETAILS:
Because this course is being offered for Lane Promotion Credit, all interested teachers MUST sign up and pay for the class through the CPS Teachers Academy for Professional Development.  For details, contact Pat Edwards at the Medill Prof. Dev. Center (773-553-6080).  The Lane Promotion Credit Fee is $20 (payable to CPS Teachers Academy).  Our program is charging teachers no additional course fee.

Please pass this information on to your colleagues who are not on this list.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Carolyn Zanta

Carolyn A. Zanta, Ph.D.
HHMI Footlocker Program for Biotechnology Education
427 Natural History Building, MC-106
1301 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801
phone: 217.265.0816