> Many of us do the same flame test. Anyone have an idea as to what went > wrong?
I am forwarding the following comments from Prof. Wade Freeman, from UIC's Chemistry Dept. Prof. Freeman is an author of a college textbook on general chemistry and has worked extensively for many years with Chicago-area chemistry teachers. >Injurious methanol fires are rare in chem labs and demonstrations, >but are documented in the literature. I recall that maiming burns >from ignition of methanol in a alcohol burner were sustained by a >girl in an upstate New York high school some 20 years ago. A report >appeared in Chemical and Engineering News or a similar publication; >I don't remember exactly. The incident was later advanced as >motivation for chemistry teachers to obtain professional liability >insurance. > >Interestingly, numerous injuries and at least one death have been >reported from unexpected flare-ups involving butane-fueled cigarette >lighters. The point is that if something can burn it eventually >will. It reminds me of what a plastic surgeon I know said while >suturing up dog-bites on a six-year old's face: "If it has teeth, it >bites." > >The decontamination process that is reported was certainly gross >over-reaction, unless chemicals more dangerous than those mentioned >in the news account were present. > >Wade > -- ================================================ Marty Gartzman Institute for Mathematics and Science Education University of Illinois at Chicago (m/c 250) 950 S. Halsted, Room 2075 Chicago, IL 60607-7019 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] phone: (312) 413-2971 fax: (312) 413-7411 ================================================ -- This is the CPS Science Teacher List. To unsubscribe, send a message to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> For more information: <http://home.sprintmail.com/~mikelach/subscribe.html>. To search the archives: <http://www.mail-archive.com/science%40lists.csi.cps.k12.il.us/>