To the two Stevens,

Thanks for the possible solutions to this!

However, I did hear back from the grad student and his response was:

"I'm installing some python packages and need a higher version of numpy, which asks for python 2.7. I'll try on CERN system. Thanks!"

Hopefully that's the last I'll hear of it....  :-)
I have 4 weeks left with the U of I, I'm totally consumed working on another
project involving Docker and Shifter, and don't really have the time nor the
wherewithal to deal with it.

- Larry