On 09/20/2016 11:02 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
We use current production (not beta / pre-release) releases of x86-64
Linux Mozilla Firefox (as well as Mozilla Thunderbird), not the distro
ESR version.  There are a number of reasons for this that can be
discussed under separate cover.  The environment is SL7x.

Firefox often (almost always) fails to open, with the diagnostic:

[ykarant@localhost ~]$ /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so:
libmozgtk.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

A simple script "fixes" the problem.  I keep the run directory
/usr/lib64/firefox that has the installed compressed tarball files
duplicated in /usr/lib/firefox-current , and then as root superuser rm
-rf the run directory followed by a directory copy of the duplicate
directory into a new copy of the run directory.

Does anyone know what causes current standard production firefox from
"destroying"
/usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so ?

Yasha Karant

Are you sure it is libxul.so that is the problem and not libmozgtk.so? It looks like xul is trying to load mozgtk and can't find it. I use the included ESR, so am not sure what the Mozilla tarballs include, but having the matching xul/xulrunner is critical.

Have you run a diff on the directory before/after it fails? (diff -rupP /usr/lib64/firefox-current /usr/lib64/firefox > /tmp/diff.out) It may be worthwhile to run it with the directories listed in the opposite order, to catch files that come and go. I don't recall all my diff switches off the top of my head.

Checking things with 'ldd' may also be useful.

-Mark