Assuming that you found Gnome 2 more acceptable than MS Win 8 or 10, etc., may I strongly recommend MATE? I have this GUI/manager installed on all my SL 7 boxes, as well as on a Mint box for a colleague (the laptop in that case came pre-installed with Mint -- leaving it was much less work than starting from scratch with the current EL 7 installation DVD). Note that for full functionality, one must install essentially all of the MATE RPMs otherwise small but convenience-necessa bits are missing.

Yasha Karant