I finally figured out my problem.

(1) You don't need xinetd. The tftp-server package is enough. Iow, systemd supersedes xinetd.

(2) Although the tftp-server rpm installs /etc/xinetd.d/tftp, there is no need to change `disable = yes` in this file.

(3) The command `systemctl enable tftp` will enable tftp.socket. On reboot, the socket will be "listening". The tftp.service will still be dead.

(4) If the tftp client has a firewall, it needs to do:

    # firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=7130-7140/udp
    $ tftp -R 7130:7140 mytftpserver.org
    tftp> ...

Then, all works.

My problem was actually step 4 which I did to test the server. In my application this is never necessary as I'm using tftp for pxebooting.