On 10/27/18 10:42 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
Using yumex, rather than doing a full update to SL 7.5 production, I
attempted to update over the network the kernel, firmware, and libgcc,
allowing yumex (essentially yum) to establish the needed dependencies
(other applications, etc., that also needed to be updated).  The
resulting kernel will not boot, but merely hangs.  If one waits long
enough, the "progress bar" at the bottom of the screen does show the
typical blue/white progression, but that is all.  When I reboot and
manually select the previous kernel, the system reboots.  I am using
MATE for a "control" GUI, although as the system never gets to the login
screen, MATE should not be "active".   It appears that yumex (yum) does
not fully resolve all required dependencies.  What other components must
I update?

Pressing <ESC> should get you the text boot messages which hopefully should point you towards what is going wrong - or remove rhgb from the kernel command line.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       or...@nwra.com