On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:47 AM Larry Linder <larry.lin...@micro-controls.com>
wrote:

> It is interesting that there is a new "yum" as an RPM but do you need to
> install it to install the rest of the .rpm packages on the RHEL 8. RPM
> pile.
> This looks like the chicken / egg problem or can you install the RHEL
> rpms with the old yum?
>
> I have to admit that I did not read the fine print.

It's a newer package manager called dnf, not a new packaging format. dnf
was introduced in Fedora 18 in 2013, so over six years. It was made the
full replacement in Fedora 22. You can still call the yum command, it's
just a symlink to dnf. No worries.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fedoraproject.org_wiki_DNF-3Frd-3DDnf&d=DwIBaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=SM6t1tQwJzgMMcNC1sBHJMyQ72nOFvL9qDSV-VnK6Vw&s=tMerSZ0hcHReQxeASxHwqOVdRoU_Ov5C7ZqdfPpCvqU&e=

On a RHEL 8 VM:
$ which yum
/usr/bin/yum
$ ls -l /usr/bin/yum
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Oct 15  2018 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3