On 03/02/2020 21:39, Stephan Wiesand wrote:

On 3. Feb 2020, at 22:23, ONeal, Miles
<00000be99a30c213-dmarc-requ...@listserv.fnal.gov><mailto:00000be99a30c213-dmarc-requ...@listserv.fnal.gov>
 wrote:

 And there's no real reason to get the source from anywhere but RHEL, since
it's freely available.

Care to share a pointer to the freely available SRPM for one of today's
updates, like gnome-settings-daemon-3.28.1-3.el7_6.src.rpm?
.

I can't speak for the specific update you mention but in order to get Red Hat
source all you need is legitimate access to it. One can of course buy a Red Hat
licence (presumably Oracle can afford this) but access to the source code is
also freely available. Just sign up for a Red Hat dev licence and, as per GPL
requirements, you get access to the source RPMs (in a 9.8GB ISO).

The dev licence limits you to running Red Hat for development and test purposes
as I recall but, as I understand it (I am not a lawyer), none of that prevents
you from exercising your GPL rights with the source code.

Naturally, certain parts of all that code and associated files contain Red
Hat's trademarked intellectual property and branding which is not covered by
GPL, so if one wishes to redistribute the code then one has the easy little job
of removing all the IP/branding first. ;-)