I agree. However, when I examine the log of which packages were replaced (I mean that the files associated with major release N were fully replaced by those of major release N+1 -- however, log and end user configuration were retained, such as the list of users, passwords, etc.), I find that all of the system files, including the glibc, etc., that is used by the kernel and other "essential" system components, were replaced. Other than a reformat of the partitions that hold the "system", how does this differ? Admittedly, the mechanism does not allow the transition from an ext4 file system to a XFS file system, but otherwise, "all" of the "system files" are replaced by those from major release N+1. Evidently, those hardware, etc., drivers that have multi-release kernel compatibility were not changed, but those drivers that do not were changed. Only after the running OS had replaced the systems files and the system rebooted, did the N+1 OS run. After the N+1 OS was running was it requested to allow removal of those system files that had not been overwritten (presumably to add to the available disk storage capacity).

What am I missing?