Perhaps someone can refresh my memory: under old EL, was the mirror list statically built into the install package, dynamically loaded if an Internet connection is available, or a mix of these two? I do not recall having to type long strings such as mirror URLs into the "old" installs.

For IBM RH, a limited list of IBM RH "owned" servers makes business sense, but not for an open system licensed for free. (The argument of cost transference through the use of a no-cost-to-the-business server often is outweighed by market control and brand identification enforced loyalty arguments.)