On 05/05/2021 23:53, Yasha Karant wrote:
> From the list you reference below, I find
>
> Amazon Web Services
>
> (AWS) is *NOT* a small (market share, startup, etc) for-profit entity.
> Is AWS looking at an alternative to licensing IBM RH EL that AWS can
> use without any license for fee?  AWS has ample internal technical
> staff to maintain any software system AWS deploys, provided source is
> available.
Note that Amazon already has Amazon Linux available to host on AWS which
is their own customised rebuild of RHEL.

As for RHEL licence fees, it's not Amazon's problem. One way or another,
the customer pays for RHEL's licensing fees if they choose to host RHEL
on AWS. That said, I imagine that CentOS is popular on AWS and so it
makes sense for Amazon to culture and support Rocky so that users who
might previously have chosen CentOS (and who don't want or need CentOS
Stream) can go with Rocky.

Supporting an open source project like Rocky is also good public
relations in general for Amazon.