The hardware issue with VME not connected to any external (Internet accessible) network is a fact of life.

The SL6 issue is a different matter. Not only are various applications vulnerable to compromises from the Internet, but so is the kernel as well as kernel systems support software. As vulnerabilities are "discovered", patches/re-writes also should be made available to lessen the risk of a compromise. The mechanical bicycle analogy is not truly applicable. A macroscopic mechanical device can be kept in service provided spares are available, can be substituted (different derailleur), or fabricated (appropriate materials, machine tools, castings, forgings, etc). Software (or hardware/firmware that can be compromised through hard "backdoors") repair is not trivial and typically not worth the effort if updates are available that maintain backward compatibility. If backward compatibility is needed but not available, and there are vulnerabilities, then a risk analysis must be evaluated.