Hi Steve,
The account is my own user account and I can ssh to it.
I currently have iptables off.
I do have:
ftpd: ALL
in /etc/hosts.allow
and
ALL: ALL: banners /etc/banners
in host.deny (again, I can ssh into the node just fine).
Thanks for the reply.
This problem is puzzling to me.

I tied added the -v option (actually -v -v -v just in case) to server_args in xinetd.d/gssftp. I just get the additional info of importing the ftp and host principal info (from the keytab).
In my /etc/krb5.keytab file I do see something a bit strange:
The KVNO for the ftp entry is 3 while the host line has KVNO 6.

--Ron

Steven Timm wrote:
Does the account that you are trying to ftp into on the
server side have a valid shell?  is that shell listed in /etc/shells?
Is ftpd open in the iptables on the server side, and in /etc/hosts.allow,
hosts.deny?

Steve