Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
On 03/06/2012 06:00 AM, Tom H wrote:
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor)
<stephen.berg....@nrlssc.navy.mil>  wrote:
On 03/05/2012 11:04 AM, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
ksdevice=link seems to work for us when reinstalling SL5 systems with SL6. But maybe that's just because we have installed all systems with pci=bfsort
since the SL4 times, making device numbering consistent across kernel
versions (and we use only eth0 for PXE). Using pci=[no]bfsort, it should always be possible to make the interface in use primary one. But then I'm not sure what Networkmanager or the new parallel udev device discovery may
be doing... And since 6.1, some (recent Dell) servers have biosdevname
enabled by default. Which makes the first onboard interface "em1", for
example :-) The advantage is that this will always match the physical socket
labelled "1" on the server.
ksdevice=link works for me when I'm doing an actual pxe boot. I haven't used the pci=bfsort parameter but the sorting of the names isn't the problem
here.  The kernel/initrd.img combo from the DVD seem to be ignoring
ksdevice=link and ksdevice=<mac addr>. Regardless of sorting issues those should work if I've only got one NIC with an active link, which is true, or
if I specify the mac address of the NIC I'm installing over.
What happens if you use a regular DVD, tab out of the menu, and add
your "ks=..." and "ksdevice=..." values to the kernel line?

Don't have a DVD drive on that system. I built a USB stick from the install DVD that's boots correctly. Tried out Tom's suggestion on a different system with only one NIC and everything proceeded as expected.

Tried on the problem system and again it worked just like I want it to. But when using the vmlinuz/initrd.img combo from the install dvd manually entered into /boot/grub/grub.conf it ignores the ksdevice parameter. The system boots to the installer but gets stuck awaiting a selection of which NIC to use. Selecting the active NIC and everything proceeds normally.

What install DVD are you grabbing the image from? There was a bug in 6.0 and 6.1 involving the network interfaces during installation. A new 6.1 iso was issued and the fix was in place for the initial 6.2 release. Make sure you are at least using the corrected 6.1 image.

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer

National Electrostatics Corp.