Do you have shadow passwords? Is there a difference in the way Mandriva handled those than how SL does? Are you generating a shadow.byname map, a passwd.adjunct.byname map, or both?

The NIS code has some odd tweaks in it to implement shadow password support in ways that are backward-compatible with Solaris systems. I'm wondering if you're running into a problem with that?

Gilbert