An update.
I have put the same /etc/fstab entry in another SL7.2 machine and it sets the
permissions correctly on boot.

On the problem machine I have tried setting the permissions on the directory to
0770 before rebooting, but something is setting it to 0750 on boot.
A manual mount works fine with:
mount -t tmpfs -o size=256m,mode=0770,uid=defang,gid=defang /dev/shm
/var/spool/MIMEDefang

So what can be upsetting the /etc/fstab mount?

I'm stumped!

Cheers
Bill