On 22/04/16 10:16, Mark Whidby wrote:
Hi,

Is there a problem? I'm getting this:

# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: langpacks
Cleaning repos: epel sl sl-security
Cleaning up everything

# cat sl7-security.repo
[sl-security]
name=Scientific Linux $slreleasever - $basearch - security updates
#baseurl=http://***************************/linux/scientific/$slreleasever/$basearch/updates/security/
baseurl=
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$slreleasever/$basearch/updates/security/

http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$slreleasever/$basearch/updates/security/

http://ftp2.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$slreleasever/$basearch/updates/security/

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$slreleasever/$basearch/updates/security/
#mirrorlist=http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/mirrorlist/sl-security-7.txt
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-sl
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-sl7

# yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=sl-security list
Loaded plugins: langpacks
sl-security
                                                      | 3.0 kB  00:00:00
(1/2): sl-security/x86_64/updateinfo
                                                      | 366 kB  00:00:01
(2/2): sl-security/x86_64/primary_db
                                                      | 2.3 MB  00:00:10

  One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),
  and yum doesn't have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only
  safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work "fix" this:

      1. Contact the upstream for the repository and get them to fix the
problem.

      2. Reconfigure the baseurl/etc. for the repository, to point to a working
         upstream. This is most often useful if you are using a newer
         distribution release than is supported by the repository (and the
         packages for the previous distribution release still work).

      3. Disable the repository, so yum won't use it by default. Yum will then
         just ignore the repository until you permanently enable it again or use
         --enablerepo for temporary usage:

             yum-config-manager --disable <repoid>

      4. Configure the failing repository to be skipped, if it is unavailable.
         Note that yum will try to contact the repo. when it runs most commands,
         so will have to try and fail each time (and thus. yum will be be much
         slower). If it is a very temporary problem though, this is often a nice
         compromise:

             yum-config-manager --save
--setopt=<repoid>.skip_if_unavailable=true

file is encrypted or is not a database

We get the same with SL6.2

As a temporary fix on our mirror, we ran:
cd $REPO
createrepo --update

Which will fix it until the next mirror run.

At first I thought it was a problem with our mirror hence the commented
out baseurl entry in the  .repo file.

Chris