The usage of alternative fuel sources is a special interest of mine,
and I guess I have  a special place for fusion...By all means, let's
hold off on fusion research while we continue slogging along with
pollution-producing hydrochemicals, destroying pristine environments
with oil spills, and finding ourselves at the mercy of Opec and
politically unstable oil-producing nations.  I understand money's tight,
and I know there's a lot of wasted spending. And I definitely understand
we need more funds allocated for healthcare, education, urban renewal
and other worthwhile goals. But as an e-mail I sent y'all last year
stated, I think a critical issue for the whole human race is the need
for more efficient and cleaner sources of energy.  All these dire
predictions of oil running out in the next few decades, global warming,
etc. Whether you give them credence or not the truth remains that we
can't maintain a thriving world by burning crap and poisoning our own
air and water.  Nuclear power never became the salvation we hoped it be,
given all the problems, breakdowns, and potential for terrorists
stealing the radioactive waste. We've dragged our feet for decades,
never pushing viable alternatives like wind, fuel cell, even true solar
power.  All this time and the best we've come up with is hybrid cars
that cost too much, don't get nearly the mileage they should, and are in
my opinion years behind where they should have been in development.  Is
fusion the great hope I anticipated all those years ago when reading
science and science fiction predictions of its promise? I don't know.
But I do know that it has a great potential to move us from an oil and
coal burning society into something better. And we'll never know unless
we give this a serious shot. Typically our leaders wait until the
situation is dire before backing what's seen as far-out or unworkable
technology (hence the long delay in serious hybrid vehicles until gas
prices skyrocketed and fear of treating with oil-rich nations drove
Detroit to get interested).  But this is a time when we need some major
foresight and strength of character to look into something that may
stave off a very bad future for us and our planet.

Besides, havent' these guys seen "Soylent Green"?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=3&u=/ap/20050617/ap_on_
sc/super_laser

Future Giant Laser Threatened by Cuts
By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer
Thu Jun 16, 9:08 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A giant laser being built to simulate the explosion of a
hydrogen bomb is facing funding cuts in the Senate that supporters say
could kill the project after $2.8 billion has been spent on it. The
device, which would focus 192 lasers at a single point to create a huge
release of energy, is nearing completion at the Lawrence Livermore
nuclear weapons lab in Northern California. But a spending plan for
energy and water projects approved Thursday by the Senate Appropriations
Committee would shut off further construction money for the project,
leaving it with just the four laser beams now in place.

Sen. Pete Domenici (news, bio, voting record), R-N.M., complained that
ballooning costs on the project, called the National Ignition Facility,
are a drain on other programs for maintaining the nation's nuclear
arsenal. New Mexico is home to the nation's two other nuclear weapons
labs, Sandia and Los Alamos.

"NIF construction must wait until additional resources can be found to
balance the needs between support of the stockpile and the single-minded
desire to build NIF," said Domenici, who chairs both the Energy
Committee and the Appropriations Committee's energy and water
subcommittee. He contended that even with just four beams, the device
remains the world's most powerful laser and "is capable of performing
many useful experiments."

The project is now scheduled for completion in 2009. Supporters said
it's as good as dead because without more lasers it cannot reach fusion
ignition - the hoped-for energy release.

"The whole point is to achieve ignition. That's why it's called a
National Ignition Facility," said Lawrence Livermore spokesman Bob
Hirschfeld. Achieving fusion ignition would allow nuclear weapons
scientists to study the performance and readiness of the country's aging
nuclear arsenal without actually detonating a nuclear device. President
Bush's 2006 budget proposal requested $141 million for NIF construction.
The House agreed to that figure but the Senate Appropriations Committee
eliminated it entirely Thursday, leaving a few funds for other program
elements.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., said she
hopes to get some of the money restored when House and Senate
negotiators meet later in the year put together the final bill for
sending to Bush.

"The NIF is almost there. They've done all the experiments, they're
almost there. It would be a total waste" to stop the program now,
Feinstein said.