Someone posted that question in another forum about Battlestar
Galactica (TNS)and I've been thinking about it for a while. I'm
pretty sure its been hashed out here before, but I don't know how to
search for a particular subject in Yahoo Groups.

Has there EVER been a civilization of Black folks that were the
equals or more advanced than the main characters of the show?

Star Trek: I think Paul Mooney said it best: " Who's writing these
shows for Black people? On Star Trek, one nigger's blind, the other
one looked like his mother fucked a turtle "

Stargate:  Big Black Guy, a "Ga-ol"(sp?) basically a brute.  They
might have expanded his character over the course of the show (I saw
him smile near the end of an episode I happened to catch), I dunno
cuz I don't watch it.  After all, the Black Egyptians couldn't
possibly have invented culture and art and physics all by
themselves, it MUST have been some benevolent Aryan, er, um *alien*
race that took pity on them and gave em all of that.  (From a purely
sci-fi perspective, a neat idea, and I was able to check my brain
and my militancy enough to enjoy the movie, but not enough to watch
the series.)

Farscape:  The one time Crichton encounters Black people they are a
backwards civilization living like Amazon tribespeople (granted,
they gave a good in-episode explanation as to why that culture had
not advanced, but sheesh!) and, of course, the cheif's daughter
wants to bone the White boy.  Don't all Black people have Vanilla
fantasies?

Battlestar Galactica: (New Series)  Well, there's a COMMUNICATIONS
officer. . . . Apparently all of the other Black people, with the
exception of the religious leader, were killed in the bombing of
Caprica.  Same with Buck Rogers - I don't recall ever seeing a dark
face on there, with the exception of the singers with three mouths -
guess all the Black folks were killed off in the cataclysm while
Buck was traveling through time.

I think its that sci-fi in general doesn't have very many Black
folks in it at all levels - writers, producers, directors, etc. I
think that when none of the people who create something look like
Wesley Snipes, chances are they will have issues, or at least some
difficulty, seeing a Black face in that role - especially when that
role has real power and possibilities for sexual attraction. In the
new BSG, there's NO real reason why Adama couldn't have been Black,
for example, unless the racial politics on Caprica also echo our
civilization. In fact, the very concept of the series should lead to
more color-blind casting as the Roman Empire, which this
civilization is based on (or which perhaps was influenced by *this*
civilization?) didn't do ethnic-based slavery.

A good example of what the lack of Black folks behind the scenes
does is the movie Pleasantville. This was an entire movie about
people who lived in a Black and White world. The movie makes the
point that the people there weren't alive until COLOR was
introduced - yet there were NO Black people in the movie and only a
few people of color in the beginning high school sequence in "our"
world.

To me, being Black and all, it seems obvious that the most shocking
and obvious thing in this movie would have been the introduction of
a Black person, or a whole *bunch* of Black people. Imagine finding
out about the concept of color and then finding out that not only
things can be different colors but PEOPLE as well! But I
digress. . . .

One of the things the original show *did* do well, IMHO, was show
diversity - not just in the casting (having Asian and Black major
characters) but the extras as well. Unlike Friends and other TV
shows which seem to exist in some mythically White world (no Black
or Hispanics in friggin NEW YORK!?!), there were people of color
there - yes they were in the background, but there were THERE.

Anyway, I've always said we'd be much better off if, instead of
begging Whitey for inclusion, we would form companies and produce
our own media. If we really want to see Sci-Fi and other media
outlets change their views, or lack therof, of Black folk, we need
to get up off our collective duff and make them or, if lacking the
knowledge and ability to make them, make it a point to support those
who are. If films like Sankofa and Rosewood got the support we give
films like Scarface and Willie Wonka (I *think* I saw 1 Black person
in the film – not counting the Oompa Loompa guy), I don't think
this
would be an issue.  Thoughts?

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>