Oh yeah, I'm aware of it. I follow the videogame industry quite closely.
I've even posted some articles on it here, such as the new phenomenon
where actors, musicians, and atheletes now count starring in games as
being as important as getting good endorsement deals. The issue of race
is a huge one in gaming, and, as this article says, worse than that of
gender. It's a male-dominated industry, true. But at least in
RPGs--notably the Japanese ones--you get women used as heroines. Often
part of a team, many times as the stars. Blacks are rarely seen in
traditional RPGs: funny that you can have elves, giants, orcs, fairies,
dudes with purple hair, etc., but no Brothers. And when Blacks are
featured in such games, they're invariably shown as huge and hulking.
Look at many fighting games, a genre which does feature Blacks. From the
classic Street Fighter, to Streets of Rage ("Bare Knuckle" in Japan), to
Soul Calibur, the Asian and white characters usually have skills such as
speed, dexterity, flexiblity, agility, and are masters of a number of
impressive martial arts. Black fighters are almost always rated high on
size, strength, and cruder, more brutal fighting, such as boxing. A
classic example is the Mike Tyson-like character in Street Fighter 2 who
fought in a Vegas scene which was filled with Black pimps and
prostitutes. The other characters had speed, superhuman skills and
powers, he was just a big brawler. For years, the "Big Black Guy" has
been a staple in gaming. We never get the slicker abilities. With the
advent of the more "realistic" games like Grand Theft Auto, designers
opened a new world in which games are based more on real environments.
Unfortunately the realities they've chosen to portray have often been
the inner city, gang-ridden, crime overrun ghettoes. Hence the Brother
in GTA San Andreas, the roster of rappers starring in the fighter Def
Jam Vendetta, and others.  Oh: we also star in a host of football and
basketball games, and show up as soldiers too--always subordinate to a
white commander.

Video games are becoming a huge part of our culture. They're as
entrenched as TV and the Internet. The gaming industry is making money
that meets or exceeds that of the film industry, billions of dollars. A
single game like GTA or Halo can sell millions of units and be seen the
world over by people from several cultures. What a sobering thought that
the image of Blacks as hulking, graceless, thuglike pimps and gangsters
is what Japanese and European gamers are seeing.