Hmmm...do I detect the plot of a short story or book you're crafting?

Maybe we might have to wait until 2045 after a war with South America...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:There's an interesting editiorial in PC Magazine about
this. Evidently the big carriers such as Verizon were upset by Philly's attempt
to create free wireless for everyone. They lobbied the state congress, which
passed a law that gives telecom companies the right to build competing systems.
Somehow the law, which was hurredly signed by the governor of Pennsylvania,
gives the advantage to Verizon. So basically there won't necessarily be the
trully free wifi in Philly that was envisioned. Maybe that's changed, but this
was the situation as of just a few weeks ago.
It's something to watch, as wireless is an area that's rife with possibilites
of free and cheap access, and I can see the big companies trying to squash
that, the same way they've screwed us for years by preventing cable boxes from
being standardized and sold in stores. Instead we get reamed having to pay
rentals for tech that any Circuit City should be able to sell for a one-time
charge.

This page was sent to you by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Looking forward to the next big media tech development.

OPINION | August 7, 2005
Op-Ed Columnist: When Pigs Wi-Fi
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
If the first step was to get Americans wired, the next step is to make them
wireless.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/opinion/07kristof.html?ex=1124078400&en=ab2bd0a4499e9466&ei=5070&emc=eta1

ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com's E-mail This
Article service.  For general information about NYTimes.com, write to [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

NYTimes.com 500 Seventh Avenue New York, NY 10018

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

 Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>