But this is America. In sorrow, in rage, but mainly in incredulity, as the
images of the suffering in New Orleans and its region began to rip at the
eyes and the minds of the entire country, Americans were heard to say, in
one way or another: But this is America. The mass pain that was inflicted by
Katrina was not only tragic, it was incoherent. For Americanism is
significantly the faith that such evils do not happen here. It is the
doctrine of insulation. That is why many people wish to come here: They
believe that here they may escape the malevolences of history and nature,
that here they will be in some unprecedented way safe, and strangers to
tragedy. Americans are always so shocked when they turn out not to be
exceptions to the universe. Their president also: "The people we're talking
about are not refugees," President Bush insisted. But they are plainly
refugees, and these refugees will be a feature of American life in many
states for many months and even years to come. When was the last time that
the noun "refugee" was modified by the adjective "American"? So the
Americanist innocence, too, was drowned in Katrina's waters. Our
invulnerability is not perfect. The storm beat us.

But this is America. The words were not a protest only against the flood.
They were a protest also against the aftermath of the flood, which was not a
natural catastrophe but a human one. Americanism is also the conviction that
the wretchedness of large numbers of Americans is unacceptable, an offense
to the American idea, a spur to American action. We take care of our own,
and our efficiency is a measure of our decency. But when our efficiency
fails us, we must conclude that our decency failed us, too. "No
insignificant person was ever born," Bush unforgettably declared in his
first inaugural address. How significant, exactly, were the persons who
waited for days for relief and rescue from the Superdome and the Convention
Center and the other makeshift purgatories, while the rest of the country
watched their dehumanization on television? We did not take care of our own,
not swiftly, not fiercely, not as if nothing in the world was more important
to us. The natural fury that caused this misery should have been met with a
human fury to alleviate it. It was not.

More, the American belief in American decency is, to a large extent, a
belief in American government. For all the suspicion of power upon which
this country was founded, the view of government as a force for ill has
never really prevailed in America, because it would have defeated the
American hunger for justice. American history over the last hundred years is
a stirring tale of government in the proud and largely effective service of
compassion. Consider also the ironic history of the Bush administration, the
many times that human need, real and imagined, at home and abroad, has
required it to betray its philosophy of small and limited government.
Sometimes "we" cannot take care of our own; only our government can. In
times of emergency, the power of the federal government may be a beautiful
thing. When Bush finally flew to the devastation, he said: "In America, we
do not abandon our fellow citizens in our hour of need. And the federal
government will do its part." Its part? But this is America. Sometimes the
federal government's part is the whole, or most of it. This should have been
so in the early hours, when the local and state authorities showed their
fecklessness. Instead, micro-incompetence was succeeded by
macro-incompetence.

And by our own, we mean all of our own. Disasters often reveal how we live.
One of the most chilling things in New Orleans last week was the extent to
which all of us were not represented in the crisis. The some of us who
suffered were overwhelmingly poor and black. If you did not see race and
class, you were blind. Barbara Bush saw race and class, and expressed race
and class, when she visited the Houston Astrodome: "And so many of the
people in the arenas here, you know, were underprivileged anyway. So this is
working very well for them." But the people living in the refugee camp on
the Astroturf are not underprivileged, they are destitute. The good news is
that most Americans did not respond like the overprivileged former first
lady. Near and far, they saw race and class and they rushed to help--thereby
shaming their government, which is one of the duties of civil society. Now
American government will no doubt demonstrate its capacity for good, but it
is not American government, with its briefings and its drop-bys, that will
have preserved American solidarity. There were no heroes in office, but
there will have been heroes. Perhaps this really is America.

http://tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050919&s=editorial091905

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM