Well said, that was my point. 50 has the right to say what he wants. But he
also has a responsibility to think before he speaks. How about good
old-fashioned humility and respect? As I said before, he could have said it
with respect.  We keep letting folks off because they're rich or "edgy" or come
from a "bad" background. Class has nothing to do with whether  you're a boy man
from the 'hood or a rich one from a mansion.  And it's these "small" rips and
insults and barbs that flame into the full-fledged battles I'm tired of seeing.
 How often do we see famous, influential white singers going at each other on
this level.

Am I saying white are better? No. Am I saying act right so you don't embarrass
all Blacks? Sorta, but no.  What I am saying is I was raised to believe that we
Blacks should stick together and try to uplift each other--especially in
public. And if you do disagree--and of course we will and can--do it with class
and respect.

hmmm... I agree that differing views should not generate anger.  We do not
share a single mind & its diversity of thought that has helped us (heman beings
in general) "advance" or "survive".  However, Black people in America r in a
slightly particular situation.  Pop culture plays a huge role in our lives & it
can litterally dictate how wwe regard ourselves & others (unfortunately).  The
"icons" of Pop culture have a particularly huge effect (for aforementioned
reasons).  Nothing wrong at all w/ 50's disagreement but giving our situation
in society, his views can be destructive.  Should he not speak?  No, he should
express his views.  Should he be aware of the fact that whatever comes out of
his mouth has great impact on many (by virtue of his status in Pop culture)?
Hell yes!  Blacks don't have the luxury of existing as an individual gruop of
people (in reality we do exist as so) but it can prove to be detrimental to
think that we do not effect each other (positively or negatively),
especially when our very society can be our worst enemy.  I think my long
winded point is: Blacks, especially those of high media profiles, need to be
conscious of what they say & do becuase they can effect change at a wider &
more immediate scale!  I don't aggree w/ voilent assault or even harsh verbal
confrontations due to difference of views (I think we both agree here). But I
do feel that those of us that  express potentially destructive views should
exercise restraint.  Not saying don't express oneself but stop to consider what
impact your words &/or deeds will have on others (especially those in a
delicate socio/economic position... whose condition can be heavily influenced
by Popular media)

sancochojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I agree with you to an extent.  But you say that, "This is a society
that places negative & destructive attributes to "being Black," yet
our anger towards each other is just as destructive when we have
dissenting view points.

We as a people must learn how to use restraint.  Especially among
ourselves.  If we don't among ourselves then the very people that we
fear(white people) will treat us in the same manner.  If we consider
ourselves the essence of mankind, then we must act like it and not
like cavemen we say they come from.

I look at the comment by 50 cents, "I think people responded to it
the best way they can," and "What Kanye West was saying, I don't
know where that came from." W

We should go crazy over such a harmless comment. Why would a comment
like that generate so much anger.  Civility would say, "ok
difference of opinion."  Uncivility would say, "off with his
head." "be careful with what you say, remember what happen to Biggy"
or "He need to shut the hell up."

Comments like that should not generate extreme anger.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, yinka oyekunle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting point.  As human beings we should be able to voice our
disagreement (free from uncivil discourse).  However, given our
particular socio/economic condition in America, 50's remarks are
only symptomatic of a greater problem.  50 is entitled to his
beliefs, but his view & the possible motivation for it has
detrimental effects (whites Americans in general can afford to do
this) we need to be more homogeneous is in thought to a degree &
begin perpetuating positive normative values.  Until we live in a
society that regards US as HUMAN BEINGS capable of wide ranges of
thought and opinions (both good & bad), we need to be more
collectively conscious.  This is a society that places negative &
destructive attributes to "being Black".  We need to safe guard
ourselves & future generations to ensure that we can achieve full
lives & not be "pigeon-holed".  Sorry if this makes no sense (I'm
very tired this morning so my thoughts may not be expressed in its
true manner)

> sancochojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So what are you saying?  We as black people cannot have a civil
> discource without killing each other.  Is that what you are saying?
> We are uncivil and having differences of opinion is a hazzard to
our
> health?  So sad that one black person cannot disagree with
another.
> Are you the same way when another black disagrees with you?  Do
you
> have that sense that you should kill them if they counter your
> opinion.  50cent was being interviewed and was asked the question,
> assume.  So you are saying such a question received, we should
bite
> our lip because we are too sensative and uncivil to disagree.
> Although these wealthy singers make millions and we as a black
> community put them on a pedestal, they are uncivil in a civil
> society.  Especially if they cannot handle differences of opinion
> and collectively as people of color, I think we fall short when
our
> thoughts and ideas are challenged.
>
> And you wonder why white people and some blacks say that we are
> homogeneous and non-objective thinkers.
>

> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > That's why I said what I said yesterday. 50 needs to shut the
hell
> up. If he wants to rap about his street cred, his "hard"
upbringing,
> how he's been shot 9 times and lived to tell the tale--well,
that's
> between him, the record company, and the consumers. But I am sick
> beyond belief of our Black artists criticising and sniping at each
> other, putting each other done. This crap killed Pac and Biggie,
got
> women like Eve and Foxy Brown battling verbally when each should
> have been happy to be making the dough. And it makes a mockery of
> anybody like 50 who dares say life, the 'hood, or Da Man has tried
> to keep him down. If he can't uplift and support his own Brothers--
> or at least, just shut up--then I don't want to hear anything from
> his mouth about life being hard for a Black man.

> > (rolls eyes)
> >
> > 50 cent really rubs me the wrong in so many ways.   And he's one
> of the main
> > problems behind rap.   And his words only prove it.   IMO Kanye
in
> this case
> > was right and what we saw during NO mess proves it.   I think
this
> guy would
> > sell out his own mom if it could make him money.
> >
> > (rant over)
> >
> > -GTW

> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> >  Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.
> >
> >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Service.

Science fiction and fantasy Music genres Genre magazine

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM