From: Astromancer
Date: 11/07/05 07:48:42
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Blacks in WWI (Was "50 Cent Disagrees...)

Monefort Point Marines...Another well-kept secret...I have misspelled the
name because it escape me right now...

sancochojo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Oh of course.  We must not forget "The
Buffalo Soldiers" I believe
which consisted of the 9th and 10th Calvary.  Name given to them by
the Native Americans.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I found the below at a site dealing with Black soldiers in WWI. I
looked because I mistakenly thought "Devil Dogs" was applied to
Black soldiers in Europe. According this I was wrong, but there were
the "Harlem HellFighters", who were quite impressive. I assume there
were other Blacks who also distinguished themselves in combat.  I'm
curious: did the "Hellfighters" or any other tag specific to Black
combat units survive to this day as a sign of honor and bravery, the
way "Devil Dogs", "Leathernecks",  and others did?

> http://www.fatherryan.org/blackmilitary/ww1.htm
> ...even-though the majority of black men were relegated to the
Services of Supply, mainly serving as laborers and stevedores, they
were active combat units like the 369th Infantry Regiment, a
National Guard outfit also known as Harlem Hellfighters ; they were
the first Americans, black or white, toreach the combat zone in
France, the first to cross the Rhine River in the offensive against
Germany;and, the Harlem Hell-fighters were in continuous combat for
191 days, longer than any otherAmerican Unit. One of the men of the
369th, Sgt. Henry Johnson, became the first American to win the
FrenchWar Cross, the Croix de Guerre. In May 1918, Johnson and Pvt.
Needham Roberts valiantlyfought off a vicious attack by a large
German raiding party that appears tohave numbered over 30 men. They
killed at lease four Germans andwounded ten. Johnson is buried at
Arlington National Cemetary.

> Oorah!!!
>
> James Landrith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Semper Fi, Leathernecks and
Devil Dogs.

<http://www.multiracial.com/abolitionist/>