In Time for Veteran’s Day, Heroic All-Black WWII Battalion Memorialized
Date: Thursday, November 10, 2005
By: F. Finley McRae, Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

In a moving ceremony Thursday at Fort Hood to honor a revered group of World
War II legends, the heroic all-black 761st Tank Battalion, a four-component
statue was unveiled before a grateful audience, which included several of the
unit's alumni. While a number of officers, including Col. Victoria Bruzese, the
garrison commander at the Kileen, Texas, facility, and currently enlisted men
and women, looked on, James Jones, a 761st alumnus, slowly pulled the heavy
black cover off the gray and white statue. Its most compelling image is of
Staff Sergeant Ruben Rivers, bent down on one knee, peering through his
binoculars. Rivers was one of a very few blacks to posthumously receive a
Congressional Medal of Honor. None were honored during World War II or
immediately after it.

Jones, who will be 83 in March, served in Europe with the Battalion, the most
decorated unit on either side, Allied or Axis, a unit which was known as the
Black Panthers because of its supremely confident, lethal strikes against the
fearsome German Panzer Division.

The unveiling, timed to coincide with Friday’s commemoration of Veteran’s Day,
was a belated honor for the 850 men who distinguished themselves in 1944 after
their transfer to the Third Army Division, commanded by the infamous Gen.
George S. Patton.

In an interview Thursday morning, Jones, who lives in Laurel, Mississippi, said
he and the surviving 30 or so 761st alumni "are very appreciative to Beverly
Taylor, without whom this statue would not exist."  Taylor, who served in the
Women’s Army Corps, began researching the unit's illustrious history in 1992
and determined that it should be nationally publicized and promoted. From the
seed of that vision and the commitment of other collaborators, the idea for the
statue was born and nurtured. Taylor later established a 761st Alumni Chapter
at Fort Hood.

"I'm happy I've lived to be a messenger and a voice for my comrades-in-arms,
whose service in defense of this country was so extraordinary," said Jones,
focusing on the unit's heroism rather than his own contributions.

That history is vast and began with the unit's assembly in late 1943 when the
758th, 769th and 760th were folded into the 761st. After training at Fort
Campbell, Kentucky, the unit was sent to Fort Hood, where it was used as an
opposition group to prepare white tank destroyers for combat.

However, like the storied 332nd Fighter Squadron -- reluctantly pressed into
service after the dismal failure of white fighter pilots to protect the heavy,
low-flying American bombers from the Luftwaffe -- the 761st was rushed into
action because Patton's tankers could not contain the Panzers, much less repel
them.

Within three weeks after landing at Bastigone, France and quickly taking three
city's from the Nazis, the 761st, without rest, pushed on to the Western front
to engage the enemy.

The fighting there was fierce, sustained for days and terribly costly to both
sides.

Although the Black Panthers emerged victorious and routed the Panzers -- which
angered and humiliated Adolph Hitler, who often bragged about their prowess --
they suffered 425 casualties, half of their men, including the valiant Rivers.
The Panthers hold the record for the longest consecutive number of days in
combat -- 183, which still stands.

President Jimmy Carter issued a Presidential Citation to the entire unit in
1979.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM