Allow me to be man enough to admit: I was *completely* wrong! I
originally said I found "Prison Break" to be plodding, boring, and
depressing. (I've posted my first two e-mails on that from a few weeks
back).  I wondered if I could get engaged by the show, if the theme
would drag me down. So much for first impressions. Fortunately I almost
always try to give new shows at least two or three viewings before I
make the final judgement. Man am I glad I did so with "Prison Break". I
think the fact that Tracey liked it helped, along with it having been
named a TV Guide Favorite, and growing buzz on the Net, which piqued my
interest.  A few weeks ago the FX channel aired a six-hour marathon,
complete with a making-of show and cast interviews. The documentary
impressed me enough to watch the marathon, which I did, hour after hour.
I started seeing a show that was smart, original, gritty, and above all,
suspenseful. I won't spoil any plot devices, but let's just say many
things aren't what you think at first. (Those in the know will remember
the discussion about "taking out" one of three man as an example).
There are amazing twists and turns that keep you guessing.  The star's
elaborate plan to break his brother out is wildly convoluted and
detailed, the kind of well-written fiction that's so
incredible-yet-believable, you put your disbelief on hold and just enjoy
the trip. That's good writing. Sub-plots about family, power and
corruption add to the drama. And of course there's the setting of the
prison itself, which is at times about intense as you can get on network
TV. Every week I find myself wondering how the escape plan can possibly
work, how the conspiracy can be revealed, how they'll deal with the
unexpected. It literally keeps on the edge of my seat.  You don't *have*
to watch every show to catch up, but it's highly advisable you do. That
I'd commit to staying with another series that makes me stay up-to-date
("Lost" being the other) says a lot.

The last of the new shows aired this week, with more to return in
January. I'm assuming reruns will start next week. Do yourself and favor
and catch 'em.