Keith:

Thanks for the bio and background on Richardson. Obviously, I have
led a sheltered existence and I have not watched nearly enough films
or TV. I haven't seen any of the films you mentioned below, nor have
I seen any of the TV series you mentioned below, except DS9. I did
see all of DS9 and I do remember the DS9 ep you mentioned... but I
didn't make the connection. Then again, I may have been distracted
by the Dabo girls in Quark's Bar (heh-heh) or by the actress that
played Sisko's wife in the series pilot (who was killed at Wolf 3-5-
9 but resurfaced again in one of those universe cross-over eps).
Then again, there were a lot of fine-looking actresses on DS9...
regulars and guest actors.

As far as Richardson being more talented than Berry, I can't
comment. Ask me later after I've seen more of Richardson's work.

George

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah, George, where you been not to recognize Salli???  :)
> She first came to my attention when she played in Mario Van
> Peebles' "Posse", looking every bit like a lovely Black/Native
> mix, which I think she was playing. (Richardson herself is part
> Black, Native, and Caucasian). She later made a name for herself
> when she voiced the character of Lieutenant Elisa Maza (sp?)
> in "Gargoyles", the human detective who worked with and aided the
> gargoyle clan. Incidentally, her character in "Gargoyles" was
> portrayed as being of mixed race, half white (Jewish) and half
> black. She also had a gig on the TV series "Family Law".
>
> Richardson did a guest starring role on DS9. In the ep "Second
> Sight" she played an alien married to an old white scientist
> (Richard Kiley?). She wanted out of the marriage, but couldn't get
> out because her people mate and bond for life. Her psychic powers
> provided an outlet for her misery by subconsciously creating an
> energy copy of herself, which met and fell in love with Sisko. The
> energy being's continued existence was draining her powers and
> killing her, but she was in a fatal loop, as she was miserable but
> couldn't leave the marriage. Her husband committed suicide to free
> her of the trap. The show was significant because it was the first
> time since his wife's death that Sisko had allowed himself to care
> for another woman.
>
> Richardson also played in the little seen film "Once Upon a Time
> when We Were Colored". It's a great movie from Tim and Daphne Reid
> that deals with that time period just before Civil Rights.
> Richardson plays that local woman we all had in our neighborhood
> who was always showing up in the clubs causing trouble just by
> being there and looking good, causing the men to fight over her.
> Seeing Richardson in that tight red dress--wow! She's done dozens
> of other film and TV roles, but those are the ones that I've
> noticed her in. In interviews I've seen with Richardson, she comes
> off as intelligent, strong, self-assured, proud of her Black
> heritage (as seen by being married to a Black man), and her white
> side (as seen by all the white love interests she has in her
> roles, including *two* white dudes fighting over her
> in "Eureka").
>
> Although she's done very well, I've always wished she could have
> gotten more exposure and acclaim, especially seeing as how other
> less talented woman of color (Halle Berry) seem to have gotten so
> much more. Maybe Richardson just isn't willing to play all the
> games other actors do to climb that ladder.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: