I saw a special on teens and the whole friends with Benifits etc.
Anyways even that special said that the new generation are having
less physical sex etc.lol more of them have taken up abstentence,
but are practicing oral because they think it's not sex because of
what numbskull?

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Interesting. This also points out that we need to be careful
sometimes listening to the "experts" and "facts". For example, one
person says the realization that Africans aren't promiscuous was a
surprise. I've never thought of Africans as promiscuous--at least,
not nearly on the level of Westerners. I'd always thought of the
AIDS/HIV and other STD issues as being related more to education,
health care, etc.  One wonders how many well-meaning organizations
are thus taking the wrong paths to helping other populations, given
that their premises may be wrong.

> And what's up with Indonesia? Did they flip the data? They're
saying the *women* there start *that much* sooner than the men???
Now that's a surprise!

> *******************************
>
> Study Dispels Some Sexual Behavior Myths
> By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer
> Tue Oct 31, 11:13 PM
> LONDON - In the first comprehensive global study of sexual
behavior, British researchers found that people aren't losing their
virginity at ever younger ages, married people have the most sex,
and there is no firm link between promiscuity and sexually
transmitted diseases.
> The study was published Wednesday as part of a series on sexual
and reproductive health by the British medical journal The Lancet.
Professor Kaye Wellings of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical
Medicines and her colleagues analyzed data from 59 countries.
> Experts say the study will be useful not only in dispelling
popular myths about sexual behavior, but in shaping policies that
will help improve sexual health across the world.
> Researchers looked at published studies on sexual behavior in the
last decade. They also used data from national governments
worldwide. Wellings noted that since the survey results were based
on self-reporting, they could be susceptible to error.
> Wellings said she was surprised by some of the survey's results.
> "We did have some of our preconceptions dashed," she said,
explaining they had expected to find the most promiscuous behavior
in regions like Africa with the highest rates of sexually
transmitted diseases. That was not the case, as multiple partners
were more commonly reported in industrialized countries where the
incidence of such diseases was relatively low.
> "There's a misperception that there's a great deal of promiscuity
in Africa, which is one of the potential reasons for HIV/AIDS
spreading so rapidly," said Dr. Paul van Look, director of
Reproductive Health and Research at the World Health Organization,
who was not connected to the study. "But that view is not supported
by the evidence."
> Wellings says that implies promiscuity may be less important than
factors such as poverty and education _ especially in the
encouragement of condom use _ in the transmission of sexually
transmitted diseases.
> The survey found that single men and women in Africa were fairly
sexually inactive: only two-thirds of them reported recent sexual
activity, compared with three-quarters of their counterparts in
developed countries.
> The study also found that contrary to popular belief, sexual
activity is not starting earlier. Nearly everywhere, men and women
have their first sexual experiences in their late teens _ from 15 to
19 years old _ with generally younger ages for women than for men,
especially in developing countries. That is no younger than 10 years
ago.
> Still, there are considerable variations across countries. In the
United Kingdom, for example, men and women tend to lose their
virginity at ages 16 1/2 and 17 1/2 respectively. In comparison, men
and women in Indonesia waited until they were 24 1/2 and 18 1/2
respectively.
> Researchers also found that married people have the most sex,
reporting engaging in sexual activity in the previous four weeks
more frequently than single people. There has also been a gradual
shift to delay marriage, even in developing countries.
> While that has meant a predictable rise in the rates of premarital
sex, experts say this doesn't necessarily translate into more
dangerous behavior.
> In some instances, married women may be at more risk than single
women.
> "A single woman is more able to negotiate safe sex in certain
circumstances than a married woman," says van Look, who points out
that married women in Africa and Asia are often threatened by
unfaithful husbands who frequent prostitutes.
> There is much greater equality between women and men with regard
to the number of sexual partners in rich countries than in poor
countries, the study found.
> For example, men and women in Australia, Britain, France and the
United States tend to have an almost equal number of sexual
partners. In contrast, in Cameroon, Haiti, and Kenya, men tend to
have multiple partners while women tend only to have one.
> This imbalance has significant public health implications.
> "In countries where women are beholden to their male partners,
they are likely not to have the power to request condom use, and
they probably won't know about their husbands' transgressions," said
Wellings.
> Because of the diversity of sexual habits worldwide, Wellings
warns that no single approach to sexual health will work
everywhere. "There are very different economic, religious and social
rules governing sexual conduct across the world," she said.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: