Ender's Game is a great novel. The rest of his stuff never did much 
for me. Card is devout Mormon and I've read some of his comments 
about various subjects like homosexuality, immigration, etc. that 
could make your blood boil.

Dan Simmons, S. M. Stirling and Jerry Pournelle come across as very 
conservative in their comments on message boards, blogs, etc. John 
Ringo is somewhere on the other side of the far right. I tried to 
read one his novels and couldn't stomach it.

--- In [email protected], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> You're talking about Ender Wiggins. You know, I can kinda get with 
that concept. The idea was to use children, who'd not be tainted or 
hindered by being brought up in traditional ways of thought. Let them 
grow up in a world of warfare, and maybe they'd come up with 
something innovative. It might not be so much a stretch.   
> 
> -------------- Original message -------------- 
> From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
> Really, I've never picked it up in any f his works, though I admit 
to only having read three of four of his books, most of them in the 
series that escapes my memory, about a kid who's bred to be a genius 
war tactician for an interstellar empire. SUch stuff kinda grates on 
my reality gears, makes me wonder how I could've so easily missed my 
life's vocation.
> 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: What's the deal on Card? Is he a racist?
> 
> -------------- Original message -------------- 
> From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
> Nora, progress, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In 
another place where I post often, I'm dealing with a horde of White 
men who feel, deep in their mitochondria, that the rest of the human 
race looks at them as Dick Cheney looks at his hunting partners, 
squarely in the bulls-eye and slated for annihilation ASAP. Wouldn't 
surprise me to learn that such thought patterns are endemic throughut 
society, and people like Card are simply brave-slash-stupid enough to 
put their disenfranchisement on paper.
> 
> "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote: From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -------- Original Message --------
> I was griping on my blog, earlier this week, about how I've 
encountered more
> 
> overt homophobes, racists, sexists, etc., within the speculative 
fiction
> community than in any other literary realm. Some of them are of the
> not-quite-benign, "one day we'll all be one race so let's try hard 
to breed
> racism away", stupidism branch of the family. But there are also a
> surprising number of unapologetic extremists (e.g., Orson Scott 
Card). Now
> as I read about the racist opinion piece published last week in the
> Asianweek newspaper by columnist Kenneth Eng, (details here:
> http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070228_prince/ ) I see 
some
> articles pointing out that Eng is a science fiction writer.
> 
> WTF?? What *is* it about this field that attracts such people? 
Aren't we
> supposed to be progressive?
> 
> Nora
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels 
will get organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A 
Man Without A Country"
> 
> ---------------------------------
> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> 
> "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels 
will get organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A 
Man Without A Country"
> 
> ---------------------------------
> Never Miss an Email
> Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get started!
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> 
> 
>  
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>


Reply via email to