I dunno. I think they may have some prejudice from their parents, but I really 
think this is inculcated into them by joinging these gangs. I grew up in 
Dallas-Fort Worth, and I'm very well familiar with Highland Park and other 
areas in DFW where blacks were verboten. My life was threatened for walking my 
friend--a girl who was half Latina and half white--home in a white 
neighborhood. I grew up with the sons and daughters of Klansmen. They were 
prejudiced at times, bigoted here and there. But I really fell that this 
extended, intense hatred is something that's built up in them after they join 
these groups. 

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: Bosco Bosco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"But in my gut it just feels somehow more *wrong* for kids with money
and comfort to turn into racist thugs."

I think that a big part of the problem is that kids that gravitate
towards racist gang activity do not turn into racist thugs, they
already are racist thugs. It's not more disturbing to me that the
rich white kids are openly headed that way now. It's just so obvious
where they come from. At least they're finally getting honest about
who they are.

When I lived in Dallas it was openly understood that any body with
skin that wasn't pale ran a heavy risk of incarceration just by
driving through the Highland Park neighborhood. That's the oldest and
richest neighborhood in Texas. (I assume it's likely that it's like
that all over the country but I am not familiar with too many other
cities in that way.) So if the starting off point for your
understanding of people with different skin color is to believe they
should be arrested for having the audacity to use a public street in
your neighborhood, it doesn't seem like such a far stretch for me to
become a violent ignorant cracker. 

Bosco

> Huh, the late, lamented tv seris "The O.C" never dealt with this! 
> Dang, this is scary. And they're recruting bored middle-class white
> kids, huh? Like Momma always loves to quote, "An idle mind is the
> Devil's workshop". I know that many kids get into serious trouble
> out of boredom and a need for some type of leadership, and I know
> that all sins are equal and all. But in my gut it just feels
> somehow more *wrong* for kids with money and comfort to turn into
> racist thugs. At least people struggling in the inner city warzones
> I can see. But no matter the source, once these kids stay in long
> enough, their playing around turns deadly serious.
> 
> What troubles me is that these types of gangs are on the rise
> again. Everytime you think America's halfway working through its
> racial problems, you realize that ain't the case. Now the
> scapegoats are illegal immigrants (mostly Latinoes) and Arabs (all
> would-be terrorists). And let's not forget the oldie-but-goodie:
> Black folk...

I got friends who are in prison and Friends who are dead.
I'm gonna tell ya something that I've often said.

You know these things that happen,
That's just the way it's supposed to be.
And I can't help but wonder,
Don't ya know it coulda been me.

__________________________________________________________
Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. 
Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html

 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to