don't worry you didn't miss munch. i stopped at about four books
after hangfire (the one with the gladiators, don't worry i didn't get
it either). it was nice to see a big fight with the skinks. they do a
good job of keeping you in the dark about skink technology. it isn't
until the second book that they reveal some of the science in the
book. not to ruin the story, but the skinks even pull off a
hyperspacial jump in the planet's atmosphere. now that was cool. i
think this was the first scifi series that i saw that done in.
unfortunately the storyline kinda isn't the same with the whole
metaplot. i've migrated to starfist: force recon. some hardcore fans
don't like it but i think it's neat to finally see how a special
forces unit would work in the future.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> > sound like a cheesy knock off.
> >
> > the old man's war/ ghost brigade sounds pretty interesting. i
just
> > might have to pick it up. that is if i can seem to put down some
of
> > my gaming books. i want to my void 1.1 book that's collecting
dust
> as
> > we speak. and the votoms rpg book is calling my name, but i
really
> > got to get back to reading novels, some how sourcebooks aren't
> giving
> > my brain the tickle it needs. anywho, thanks for the suggestions.
> >

> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "B. Smith" <daikaiju66@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been leery about buying anything by Dan Cragg since he got
> > > involved in the Virginia Senate election debacle. I liked the
> first
> > > few books of the series but the one with the neo-gladiator
stuff
> > kind
> > > of turned me off on the series. My favorite of the series is
> Steel
> > > Guantlet. That was a great piece of military sf.
> > >
> > > If you like military sci-fi try the Sten series by Allan Cole
and
> > > Chris Bunch. I'd tell most folks to skip the first novel or
read
> it
> > > later. It gives the back story of Sten but not as much of the
> stuff
> > > that made the rest of the books so great. The Tahn Wars arc
> begins
> > in
> > > the third book Court Of A Thousand Suns and it's great. After
the
> > > Tahn Wars there's a huge twist and the last two books of the
> series
> > > turn into something very, very different.
> > >
> > > Chris Bunch passed away a couple of years ago but he has three
> > other
> > > mil sf series that he wrote solo: The Last Legion, The Shadow
> > Warrior
> > > and Star Risk, LTD. The Last Legion and Shadow Warrior are
pretty
> > > good but the gem of his solo work is Star Risk imho. It's about
> > > small private military company that is at war with a huge rival
> > > called Cerebus Systems. It's lighthearted compared to Sten and
> the
> > > other series but that tone plays well because these guys and
> girls
> > > are supposed to be likeable rogues and it works but they are
> still
> > > hardcore mercenaries and they get into some pretty nasty fights.
> > >
> > > John Scalzi's The Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades are also
> > very,
> > > very good. It's more Forever War than Hammer's Slammers but he
> set
> > up
> > > a great universe and humanity's place in it is precarious.
Humans