I'm assuming Ricci is Trixie? Great casting! She's one of the few actresses I
can see pull of that trademark Trixie yell. Now if only Hirsch can do the
famous Speed cry of fear as well. If you don't remember the English-dubbed
series, there's *no way* in hell I can describe those exceedingly funny screams
of fear from the cartoon! Man, i wish we could upload sound!  Didn't I read
that Vince Vaugh is playing Racer X? While I don't think he has the look of
Racer X--unless he hits the gym--I will say Vaugh's ability to do rapid-fire
speaking is a perfect rif on the too-fast English voice acting of the
Americanized cartoon.

Christina Ricci is joining "Matrix" creators Larry and Andy Wachowski's
live-action adaptation of the 1960s cartoon "Speed Racer."
Emile Hirsch, Susan Sarandon and John Goodman already have boarded the
high-octane Warner Bros. project, which is based on the anime series created by
Tatsuo Yoshida for Japanese audiences and later imported to the U.S.
"Speed" centers on a young race car driver, Speed (Hirsch), and his quest for
glory in his thundering, gadget-laden vehicle Mach 5. Ricci will star as
Speed's girlfriend Trixie, his formidable ally on and off the track.

The show revolved around Speed's family. In the big-screen adaptation, Goodman
will play Pops, a race car owner and builder. Sarandon is on board as Pops'
wife, the backbone of the family as well as the Mach 5 Go Racing Team.
The Wachowskis, who are writing and directing, are eyeing a summer shoot in
Berlin with a summer 2008 release.
The casting is a change in direction for Ricci, who has tended to star in such
indie-oriented fare as "Monster," "Penelope" and the recent "Black Snake Moan."
She also appeared on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy," a turn that earned her an Emmy
nomination last year.