Wow, this is really something. Sometimes--many times, in truth--I do understand
why some of my friends are atheists or agnostics. It does seem that Man grafts
so much of his own fears, needs, greed, etc.onto religious "truth" that such
truth can be twisted all out of recognition.  Limbo wasn't really belived in by
most in the Catholic church, yet they had to get around to removing it from the
literature? So many concepts of sin and morality seem to be based on the mores
of the current times and political/social climates, not on a true connection to
God.  For example, I look back with chagrin remembering a time when I had to
consciously get comfortable with the idea of female preachers.  The church in
which I was raised teaches the old time belief that men alone should be
preachers, and as a kid, I didn't really question that too much. Of course, as
my family will tell you, I basically question *everything* in life--with one
notable exception being the existence of a God--so I got a
round to the gender thing too. I had to look at history and realize the
attitudes of the church were based on societal attitudes about women, just as
the Mormons used to teach that we blacks weren't worthy of the same grace as
whites, or how there have been times when churches would teach that long hair
on men was improper, yet be okay worshipping a Jesus with same. I had to make
myself get over that prejudice.  So much of what we accept from organized
religion needs to be examined closely. And times like these, so many who claim
to follow God twist the truth to serve their own ends.

A friend of mine likes to say that Jesus never meant to start a religion. I get
that. I believe in God, but man, do people make it hard!

************************************

Catholic Church buries limbo after centuries
By Philip PullellaFri Apr 20, 2:21 PM ET
The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the
place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die
without baptism went.
In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission
said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."
The 41-page document was published on Friday by Origins, the documentary
service of the U.S.-based Catholic News Service, which is part of the U.S.
Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Pope Benedict, himself a top theologian who before his election in 2005
expressed doubts about limbo, authorized the publication of the document,
called "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die Without Being Baptised."
The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The
document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of
Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th
century.
"The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical
reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought
into eternal happiness even if there is not an explicit teaching on this
question found in revelation," it said.
"There are reasons to hope that God will save these infants precisely because
it was not possible (to baptize them)."
The Church teaches that baptism removes original sin which stains all souls
since the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden.
"NO NEGATION OF BAPTISM"
The document stressed that its conclusions should not be interpreted as
questioning original sin or "used to negate the necessity of baptism or delay
the conferral of the sacrament."
Limbo, which comes from the Latin word meaning "border" or "edge," was
considered by medieval theologians to be a state or place reserved for the
unbaptized dead, including good people who lived before the coming of Christ.
"People find it increasingly difficult to accept that God is just and merciful
if he excludes infants, who have no personal sins, from eternal happiness,
whether they are Christian or non-Christian," the document said.
It said the study was made all the more pressing because "the number of
nonbaptised infants has grown considerably, and therefore the reflection on the
possibility of salvation for these infants has become urgent."
The commission's conclusions had been widely expected.
In writings before his election as Pope in 2005, the then Cardinal Joseph
Ratzinger made it clear he believed the concept of limbo should be abandoned
because it was "only a theological hypothesis" and "never a defined truth of
faith."
In the Divine Comedy, Dante placed virtuous pagans and great classical
philosophers, including Plato and Socrates, in limbo. The Catholic Church's
official catechism, issued in 1992 after decades of work, dropped the mention
of limbo.