You're kidding! That's jacked up! One person i sent this to did ask a good
question, which is, how many of the predators come from the class of those
teens who were convicted for having relations with someone actually close to
their age, but technically not "legal"?

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
And the *really* scary part about this?

MySpace didn't want to give up the info. I have a MySpace page, solely to keep
in touch with a few people I met on other web sites. I wanted to use my page to
try and catch pedos like those mentioned in the story. My local PD told me that
I couldn't, that it would be "entrapment" and "unconstitutional".

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: If you have children who use MySpace, this is
definitely something to know. I'm not at all a fan of identification systems
that limit our privacy, but I will say there needs to be some systems in place
to help protect children from such exposure. Simply telling kids not to divulge
personal info isn't always effective, as that's part of the fun of MySpace. At
the same time, the increase in moderators, rules and regulations will result in
a loss of the coolness factor of MySpace and other sites. Anyone here with
teens who use the social networking sites? What do you do to protect them? Do
you frequently login to the sites and check your kids' communications and
postings to see what they're up to? I guess that's akin to how parents back in
the day periodically searched their kids' clothes, closets, read their diaries,
etc., to see if they're engaged in anything they shouldn't be.

I've often discussed my love/hate feelings with the concept of universal IDs
that tie several information databases about each of us together. The Star Trek
utopian in me sees them as an effective way to have instant access to, say,
medical history for someone unconscious, or for one card to let you pay for
meals as well as function as a driver's license. The other side--a huge
side--fears the loss of privacy and potential for abuse, especially in these
times of abusive Patriot Acts. But I think things like the growth of
potentially dangers sites like MySpace will help push that issue to the fore...

*********************

MySpace Finds 29,000 Sex Offenders
By GARY D. ROBERTSON, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jul 24, 10:13 PM
RALEIGH, N.C. - MySpace.com has found more than 29,000 registered sex offenders
with profiles on the popular social networking Web site _ more than four times
the number cited by the company two months ago, officials in two states Tuesday.
North Carolina's Roy Cooper is one of several attorneys general who recently
demanded the News Corp.-owned Web site provide data on how many registered sex
offenders were using the popular social networking site, along with information
about where they live.
After initially withholding the information, citing federal privacy laws,
MySpace began sharing the information in May after the states filed formal
legal requests.
At the time, MySpace said it had already used a database it helped create to
remove about 7,000 profiles of sex offenders, out of a total of about 180
million profiles on the site.
Cooper's office said Tuesday, however, that now the figure has risen past
29,000.
"I'm absolutely astonished and appalled because the number has grown so
exponentially over so short of time with no explanation," said Connecticut
Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who also had pressed the company earlier
for sex offender data.
MySpace declined to comment on the figure, focusing instead on its efforts to
clean up its profile rolls.
"We're pleased that we've successfully identified and removed registered sex
offenders from our site and hope that other social networking sites follow our
lead," MySpace chief security officer Hemanshu Nigam said in a prepared
statement.
Cooper is pushing for a state law that would require children to receive
parental permission before creating social networking profiles, and require the
Web sites to verify the parents' identity and age. For example, social
networking sites would have to compare information provided by a parent with
commercial databases. Sites could also force parents to submit credit cards or
printed forms.
Cooper is working with law enforcement officials in other states in pressuring
MySpace to use age and identity verification methods voluntarily. Based on
media reports, Cooper's office found more than 100 criminal incidents this year
of adults using MySpace to prey or attempt to prey on children.
Most recently, a Virginia man pleaded guilty Monday to kidnapping and
soliciting a 14-year old girl he met on MySpace.
"All we're doing is giving parents the right to make a choice whether their
children can go online," Cooper told a state House committee considering the
bill on parental involvement and verification. He said the measure would lead
to "fewer children at risk, because there will be fewer children on those Web
sites."
Advocates for Internet companies and privacy issues testified against the
proposed restrictions, saying the broad parental verification standards would
be found unconstitutional because they prohibit free speech or impede
interstate commerce. The experts who testified also said Cooper's idea isn't
foolproof, because children could fabricate their parents' information and
purported consent.
The parental verification requirement "makes promises to consumers that cannot
be kept. It is dangerous language," said Emily Hackett, executive director of
the Washington-based Internet Alliance, whose clients include Time Warner
Inc.'s AOL, Yahoo Inc. and VeriSign Inc. "There is no way to eyeball a user."
The bill has already passed the North Carolina Senate. Now it goes to a House
subcommittee for more consideration.
State Sen. Walter Dalton, a Democrat who is a primary sponsor of the bill,
acknowledged that it won't stop all sexual predators from getting on social
networking sites. But he said it addresses a problem that shouldn't be ignored,
Dalton said.
"There is obviously a compelling state interest to protect our children from
sexual predators," he said.

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"