saw. Too bad it was cancelled 'cause of that supposed "cocaine-sniffing" scene.

 From: "Reece Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://www.toonopedia.com/terrific.htm

 Tom Terrific was a product of Terrytoons' Deitch Era - a brief period in the
 studio's history during which its grizzled schlockmeisters were forced to
 take orders from 31-year-old Gene Deitch. Deitch, who got his start doing
 Gerald McBoing-Boing <http://www.toonopedia.com/gerald.htm> at UPA, became
 the Terrytoons creative director the year after CBS bought the company from
 founder Paul Terry. The first thing Deitch did was scrap all the ongoing
 characters, including such stars as Mighty Mouse
 <http://www.toonopedia.com/mightym.htm> and Heckle
 <http://www.toonopedia.com/hekljekl.htm> & Jeckle, and replace them with the
 likes of Gaston LeCrayon and John Doormat.

 He also explored new venues. Tom Terrific was produced for the burgeoning
 television market, and ran from 1957-59 on CBS's Captain Kangaroo show. The
 daily episodes, replete with heroism, villainy and cliffhangers, added up to
 a complete five-part story every week. Those old episodes were sporadically
 re-run, and were seen, on rare occasions, as recently as the early 1970s.

 Tom's appeal did not lie in the cartoons' production values, which, like
 most early TV animation (e.g., Clutch
 <http://www.toonopedia.com/clutch.htm> Cargo, Col. Bleep
 <http://www.toonopedia.com/bleep.htm> ), were nothing short of shoddy. No,
 it was in the clever writing, the likeable characters, and the fact that the
 series was just plain fun. The latter quality was considerably enhanced by
 the talent of voice actor Lionel Wilson, who played all the roles. As chief
 villain Crabby Appleton ("He's rotten to the core!"), Wilson would sneer and
 hiss in the best melodramatic tradition; while as Tom, his breathless
 enthusiasm made every little plot development seem like a Major Event.

 Another possible source of the character's appeal was in his basic
 situation. Besides being a superhero
 <http://www.toonopedia.com/glossary.htm#superhero> (he could transform his
 body into whatever he wanted), Tom was a kid on his own. His headquarters
 was a tree house, where he lived with his ever-faithful companion, Mighty
 Manfred the Wonder Dog (possibly the world's laziest heroic sidekick), and
 nobody else. The only adults in Tom's life were guys he could have fun
 adventures with - villains like Captain Kidneybean the Pirate and weirdos
 like madcap inventor Isotope Feeny. What kid wouldn't want to identify with
 a guy like that?

 Besides his Captain Kangaroo appearances, Tom held down a quarterly comic
 book for no less than six issues, Summer 1957 through Fall 1958, where some
 stories were drawn by Ralph Bakshi (later the animation producer who brought
 Fritz the Cat <http://www.toonopedia.com/fritz.htm> to the big screen).
 Sidney the <http://www.toonopedia.com/sidney.htm> Elephant, another Deitch
 creation, appeared in it as a back-up feature. Tom also appeared in a few
 Wonder Books, a knock-off of Little Golden Books.

 Like the rest of the Deitch Era Terrytoons, the Tom Terrific cartoons
 haven't been seen in many years. But unlike most, they're very fondly
 recalled by their Baby Boom audience.

 Maurice Jennings
 Have you or someone you know been threatened with foreclosure?
 KEEP your home and Stop Foreclosure in its Tracks!
 Get a Free, No Obligation Evaluation => http://www.legacyhomesavers.com
 <http://www.legacyhomesavers.com/>

 _____