My question is when they say "Uhura is almost tom-boyish - as if she grew up in
a house full of brothers." Do they mean "brothers" as in siblings or "brothers"
as in black men?

  If memory serves me right, Uhura insinuated that she spoke KiSwahili (the
episode were an alien spoke to the crew and they said the alien spoke their
individual lanquage fluently < Chkov in Russian, Spock in Vulcan, etc.,
etc.,>...

                  www.onceuponatimeinthecongo.com