More on this story...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14307118&sc=emaf

/BIG CREEK, W.Va./ September 12, 2007, 11:23 p.m. ET · Authorities
decided Wednesday not to pursue hate crime charges in the kidnapping and
weeklong torture of a black woman, instead going after the suspects, who
are white, on state charges that carry stiffer penalties.

While federal civil rights or state hate crime charges remain an option,
a state kidnapping count that carries a sentence of up to life in prison
will provide the best chance for successful prosecution, officials said.

"As a practical matter, sentenced to life, what else can be done?" U.S.
Attorney Charles T. Miller told The Associated Press.

Six people face charges, including kidnapping, sexual assault and lying
to police in the torture of Megan Williams, 20, at a remote hillside
home in Big Creek.

State hate crime charges, which carry a sentence of 10 years, could come
later, prosecutor Brian Abraham said. State sexual assault charges carry
a penalty up to 35 years in prison.

The woman's captors forced her to eat rat droppings, choked her with a
cable cord and stabbed her in the leg while calling her a racial slur,
according to criminal complaints. They also poured hot water over her,
made her drink from a toilet, and beat and sexually assaulted her during
a span of about a week, the documents say.

Williams was not a random target, prosecutor Brian Abraham said
Wednesday. She had a "social relationship" with one of the suspects, he
said.

The Associated Press generally does not identify suspected victims of
sexual assault, but Williams and her mother, Carmen Williams, agreed to
release her name. Carmen Williams said she wanted people to know what
her daughter had endured.

At one point, a suspect cut the woman's ankle with a knife and used the
N-word in telling her she was victimized because she is black, according
to the complaints.

It wasn't until an anonymous tip led Logan County sheriff's deputies to
the property on Saturday that her ordeal ended, authorities said. She
limped toward the deputies, her arms outstretched as she cried, "Help
me," officials said.

Williams remained hospitalized Wednesday in Charleston. The hospital
declined to release any information about her condition.

The victim had a previous relationship with Bobby Brewster, one of the
six in custody, Abraham said. He was charged in July with domestic
battery and assault after a domestic dispute involving the same woman.

"She obviously had some sort of social relationship," Abraham said.
"That is based on the fact that she was present at his residence on a
prior date."

The suspects have arrest records going back several years, according to
records from Logan County Magistrate Court, and Abraham said was he
familiar with all of them.

"Most of the charges are minor things," Abraham said. "Basically on
weekends they get in trouble and by the middle of the week they make up
with each other."

Since 1991, police have filed 108 criminal charges against the six.

Brewster's mother, Frankie Brewster, 49, faced the most serious charges
among them. She was charged in 1994 with first-degree murder but pleaded
guilty to manslaughter and wanton endangerment. She was released from
prison in 2000 after serving five years in the death of an 84-year-old
woman, court records show.

In Williams' case, Frankie Brewster is charged with kidnapping, sexual
assault, malicious wounding and giving false information during a felony
investigation.

Bobby Brewster, 24, also of Big Creek, is charged with kidnapping,
sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of
a felony.

In March, Brewster was accused in criminal complaints of attacking his
mother with a machete at her home, according to court records. The
outcome of those charges — domestic assault, brandishing a deadly weapon
and obstructing an officer — was not immediately clear.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, is charged with sexual assault and
malicious wounding. Karen Burton, 46, of Chapmanville, was charged with
malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony.

Burton's daughter, Alisha Burton, 23, and George A. Messer, 27, both of
Chapmanville, are charged with assault during the commission of a felony
and battery. She previously faced charges of assault during the
commission of a felony and battery; in May, she was accused of striking
Messer with a shovel and smashing the window of a woman's car. The
charges are pending.

All six remained in custody Wednesday in lieu of $100,000 cash bail
each. Bobby Brewster is scheduled to appear before a Logan County
Circuit Court judge on Monday to be arraigned on the kidnapping charge,
according to court records. A date for his mother's appearance on the
kidnapping charge has not yet been set.

Public defender Dwyane Adkins, appointed to represent Bobby Brewster,
and public defender Betty Gregory, appointed to represent Karen Burton,
declined to comment. The other defendants' court-appointed lawyers were
either in hearings or did not immediately return telephone calls Wednesday.

Neighbors of Megan Williams in Charleston recalled her as sweet-natured
but said her family members kept largely to themselves.

"They were isolated, in a way," said the Rev. Norman Jones of the
Greater Emmanuel Gospel Tabernacle, which Carmen Williams attended.
"Carmen was very protective of Megan, so it was hard to know her well."