As for series: "Justice League" will always be #1 for me. I'm also partial
to the work done at MTV whenever they decide to do a show. Spider-Man was
great work, and who can deny "MTV Underground"?!! My favorite work from
Cartoon Network has to be anything attached to Gennady Tartakovsky. I
actually worked on a few American series
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1332105/) as a lowly color and background
animation assistant in the mid 90s, and I would say that Courage was my
favorite of those because the character design style of Tim Chi Ly
(American) was really neat at the time. Everybody else was going in a
totally  different style direction back then, so to stick to their own style
back then was brave.

Greatest of all contemporary American animated FILMS, though? "Iron Giant".
Does it GET any better? But, a film that is never given props for its
animation production is "Titan AE". Horrible script and bad acting, but
whooo -- what animation work!

Daryle