I'm hearing some mixed takes on the film. People have read the
graphic novel said it seems to capture the spirit and look but cuts
out the backstory. The plot is already paper thin so that's probably
not a good thing.

Apparently the major subplot about the group trying to prove that
vampires exist by getting some hard evidence has been cut from the
film.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Did anyone see this vampyr flick? For some reason, i wanted to see
it, probably because the bloodsuckers look vicious and ghoulish. This
hails back to the older legends of the vampire as a nasty thing that
*ate* parts of people, not just innocently sucked their blood through
two small holes in the neck. I've mentioned recently that I've
started tiring of the vampire-as-tortured-soul concept (Angel, Blood
Ties, Moonlight), and the whole sexy-cool vampire guy has worn thin
to me too, it's been so overdone. I've been wanting someone to bring
back *frightening* vampires a la Nosferatu or "Salem's Lot".  I'm
hoping someone saw it to let me know if they succeeded....

> ****************
>
> Vampire film "30 Days" crushes competition
> Sunday October 21 1:19 PM ET
>
> The new vampire thriller "30 Days of Night" sucked the life out of
its box office rivals, opening at No. 1 with estimated weekend sales
of $16 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.
> Meanwhile, moviegoers ignored three new high-powered dramas hoping
for awards-season recognition.
> The crime drama "Gone Baby Gone," marking the directing debut of
Ben Affleck," opened at No. 5 with $6.0 million; the CIA suspense
drama "Rendition," starring Reese Witherspoon, limped in at No. 9
with $4.2 million; and the domestic tragedy "Things We Lost in the
Fire," starring Benicio Del Toro and Halle Berry, barely flickered at
No. 15 with $1.6 million.
> Box office pundits said an onslaught of R-rated dramas in recent
weeks had been too much for moviegoers to digest. Recent entries such
as the terrorism thriller "The Kingdom," the period drama "Elizabeth:
The Golden Age" and the legal saga "Michael Clayton" -- all boasting
Oscar-winning talent -- have disappointed to various degrees.
> "I think people are looking for froth," said a studio official who
did not want to be identified. "How much reality do you want?"
> Light fare has ruled the box office in recent weeks. Incumbent
champ "Why Did I Get Married?" slipped to No. 2 with $12.1 million.
It had ended the two-week reign of "The Game Plan," which is now No.
3 with $8.1 million. Before that, the zombies of "Resident Evil:
Extinction" were the top draw.
> "30 Days of Night" pitches a horde of zombie-like vampires against
a handful of residents in an Alaskan town going without sunshine for
a month. Josh Hartnett and Danny Huston star in the $30 million
project, which was distributed by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony
Corp.
> Writer/director/actor Tyler Perry's romantic comedy-drama "Why Did
I Get Married?" has earned $38.9 million after two weeks. It was
released by Lionsgate, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.
> Walt Disney Co.'s "The Game Plan," starring Dwayne "The Rock"
Johnson," has earned $69.2 million after four weekends.
> "Gone Baby Gone" was released by Disney's Miramax
Films. "Rendition" was released by New Line Cinema, a unit of Time
Warner Inc. "Things We Lost in the Fire" was released by DreamWorks
Pictures and Paramount Pictures, both units of Viacom Inc.